Tuesday, November 9, 2010

For the lazy/impatient knitter

A little over a year ago, I got the itch to try knitting. I bought a "teach yourself" book and got to it. I really liked it because I could do it while we were watching movies and it was perfect when I was 7, 8, 9+ months pregnant because I could hang out on the couch all day and knit little hats.

I got a pattern book, looked at patterns online, and had great aspirations of making all kinds of beautiful, cozy, hand knit items. But, I am really lazy and really impatient when it comes to things like this. As soon as I can make something with what I know, I give up on learning anything else. So, all I really know is how to knit, purl, decrease, and yarn over. It worked for baby hats and that's all I wanted to make, after all, I was about to have an October baby, she would definitely need a good selection of cozy hats.

Well, now I feel really lame because I've been knitting for over a year and still can't make anything fabulous. Until now. It seems the trend for this cold weather season, is simple cowl scarves. These cowls are either knit as a tube that slips over your head, or with a button closure. They can be so pretty, especially a big beautiful button. But they are so easy! I made this one by just knitting a rectangle, letting it curl up a bit, and securing it with a pretty pin.

I think I will put a button on it because I'm not really a sparkly dragonfly kind of girl (anymore). So, for all of you knitters out there like me, this is YOUR season! Make some of these and love them then give them to people you love. And for those of you who actually know how to knit, please don't mock my attempt at knitting something functional and pretty :)

1 comment:

  1. That's so pretty!
    I've been crocheting for about 14 years, but never had the patience to learn to knit (same thing--once I knew how to do something really well, I didn't want to be bothered learning something else!)
    Some girls at church taught me how to knit this past summer, but I still don't have the patience for it. I guess I need to just keep plugging away at it until it becomes something else that I enjoy! There are so many pretty knit patterns out there...I really do need to keep at it!

    ReplyDelete