Monday, December 13, 2010

Last Minute Christmas - Granola

(Updated with recipe in post)
I haven't ever participated in any "link ups" or "blog parties" or anything like that. I'm so new to all of this that I hardly even know if those are real terms or if I am just making them up. But I love Skip to My Lou and every Monday, the theme is Made by You. So, I thought I'd contribute and "link up" one of my favorite things to make and one of my husband's favorite things to eat.

When I needed a last minute gift (I wasn't able to sew the gifts I intended to give because, as it turns out, sewing isn't a top priority when you're moving) I thought a jar of homemade granola would be fabulous! This is my version of a recipe from a friend that she revised from a local organization that focuses on really healthy and natural living. I love this recipe because, unlike other granola recipes I've seen, it has no oil. It's so good, and at Christmas I like to spice it up with some nutmeg and cinnamon and it's so yummy.

So here's how you do it:
Mix oats, dried cranberries, coconut, and raw nuts of your choice in a really big bowl.
In a microwaveable container, add dates and water, then microwave for about a minute.
Pour warm dates and water into the blender and add bananas.
Puree until smooth, add honey and spices and puree again (if you have the same blender as me, I suggest you don't do this while your child is sleeping...this is the noisiest blender ever! Sorry for the interruption, back to the regularly scheduled recipe).
Pour wet mixture over your dry mixture and mix thoroughly, making sure that there are no dry spots. I do this with my hands because it's much easier than trying to do it with a spoon.

Spread over cookie sheets and pop them in the oven.
Stir every 30 minutes until completely dry and golden delicious. Usually about 5-6 hours.

Then find all those empty jars you've been saving for some reason, paint the lids silver, fill the jars with granola, add some festive ribbons and tags, and give them to everyone you love.

Here's the recipe:

Granola Recipe by Bonnie at The Pretty Bitty Blog

4 Cups Oats
2 Cups Dried Cranberries
2 Cups Coconut Flakes
2 Cups Chopped Almonds
2 Cups Chopped Pecans
Mix in a large bowl

1 Cup Chopped Dates
1 Cup Warm Water
Microwave together for 1 minute

2 Very Ripe Bananas

Add dates and water mixture to a blender, add bananas, puree until smooth


1 Cup Honey

1 Teaspoon Cinnamon (Optional)

½ Teaspoon Nutmeg (Optional)

Add to banana and date puree, blend until completely incorporated


Add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix it until everything is moistened. Divide the mixture over two cookie sheets, using your hands form "clumps" of the mixture. Cook at 150 to 200, stirring every 30 minutes until crisp and completely dry, about 5-6 hours. Store granola in an air tight container.


2 comments:

  1. Bonnie, that looks delicious (and beautiful, too!)
    ♥ Bethany

    www.happyhomemaker.me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bethany :) Another reason I love making this is that I can start it in the morning so it bakes all day and makes the house smell wonderful!

    ReplyDelete