Saturday, December 18, 2010

Last Minute Christmas - Nativity Scene

This will be the 5th Christmas since Corey and I have been married. And ever since our first Christmas together, I've been wanting a nativity scene. But a lot of the ones I've seen are really expensive and I don't love the figures. A lot of the sets I've seen make Mary and Joseph look very fancy and wealthy, and they make Jesus look like a baby angel or something. I just don't like a lot of the sets I've seen and I haven't ever really loved the prices on them!

A couple of years ago I saw the Willow Tree nativity set and loved it! But I sort of felt like it's so popular and I didn't want to get something that so many other people had. I know, I'm being ridiculous about this whole thing! So, I kept seeing it at a local department store and the Christian bookstore, but it was so expensive! I kept putting it out of my mind. But this year, with our new place and a piece of furniture just longing for some Christmas decor, I went for it. I bought the set on Amazon for about half what I had seen it sold for elsewhere. I ordered it and it came this week. I immediately opened it and set it up.


What I love about this set is that it's more like a representation and a reminder than a reenactment. We do not know what the whole scene was like, what their faces looked like, or anything like that; I love that this set is so simple and just represents the birth of Christ without all the distractions of facial expressions and features and glowing halos.

I love, love, love it. But, it needs a stable (or a cave, rather, since most biblical historians think it was likely a cave rather than what we think of as a stable). So, that's our project today. It's stormy outside and we have most of the day to just hang out at home. I'm excited. I have in mind something I made when I was younger as an ornament. Now it's time to make that same thing on a larger scale. Time for paper mache!

No comments:

Post a Comment