Saturday, February 12, 2011

$10 Valentine Gift

Every year we go to a couples' Valentine's party. At this party, we have a gift exchange and the parameters are that the gift must be romantic or "suggestive" and it must have a value of $5-$10 (I'm sure it was more in the past because it's really hard to find something for this price!). After 5 years of having this party and seeing the same gifts over and over, I wanted to come up with something creative, romantic, and something that people wouldn't be embarrassed to "steal" during the gift exchange. So, I took my $10 and headed to Goodwill. Here's what I came up with:

I know, that does NOT look like it only cost 10 bucks. Well, thanks to Goodwill, a bit of spray paint, some fabric scraps, and a free printable (which you can find here), I was able to pull off this breakfast in bed kit for just $10!! Amazing and fabulous. Corey kept telling me that he was going to steal it so that we could bring it home. Of course I didn't let him (because I'm making something similar, and better, for us! But it's a secret, so don't tell him...and don't worry, he doesn't usually read my blog).

Here's the break down: 2 sets of dishes- $3, tray-$3, frame- $1, candle- 49¢, Valentine place mat (which I made, so it was really cheap)- probably about $1.

So, all together it cost $8.49 in new supplies plus a bit of spray paint, napkins from my party supply stash, and time. I was pretty proud of myself for putting this together within budget. And so glad it was well received at the party. It got stolen and locked in pretty quickly after it was opened, it makes my heart happy to know that people liked it :)

Now I need to start looking for that perfect white elephant gift for the Christmas party!

p.s.
This is project number 2 for week 2 of the Crafty Sewing Mamas sewing challenge. This week we were to make pjs and something Valentine themed, so this is my Valentine sewing project. I really only sewed the little place mat, but it's super Valentine-y, so, that counts, right?

1 comment: