Monday, March 7, 2011

Super Easy Baby Blanket

I have been known to throw together a handmade gift right before a birthday party or baby shower, just finishing it and tossing it in a gift bag as I head out the door 10 minutes late. I even sat in the driveway of my cousin's baby shower sewing buttons on the kimono jammies I made for her baby boy. Yes, I am the worst manager of time. At least I'm not in denial, right?

Well, in keeping with my last minute craftiness, I am also sometimes late to blog parties. And today is no exception. You may recall the "Crafty Mamas Blog Challenge" I talked about a while back and even made a few projects for. Well, I am jumping back in (two days late to link up).


So, here is my week 5 project

The challenge was to make a baby blanket. So I threw together this super simple, super cozy blanket Thursday evening when we heard the news that our good friends found out they were having a boy.

Perfect for snuggling up with a good book and your favorite little boy.


Honestly, I was hoping they were having a girl so I could make a blanket with a ruffle or something super girly...but this one was so quick and it's about the softest thing ever, so I think I'm okay that they'll be having a boy.

To make your own super easy, super soft baby blanket, follow these simple steps: find two super cuddly fabrics (I chose chenille and flannel) and pre-wash them to prevent uneven, unwanted shrinking later. Lay them right sides together and make the edges even (I cut mine to be about 30" by 38"), cut arount a bowl or plate to round the corners, pin the edges together, sew 3/4" from the edge leaving about 4 inches open for turning. Then clip the rounded corners with "valley" cuts so they lay flat when you turn the blanket right side out. Turn right side out, be sure everything is laying flat at your seams, pin together your opening so it blends in with the rest of the blanket edge, then top stitch around about 1/4" from edge, making sure to close your opening. Then, give it to someone who is having a little boy so they can snuggle and cuddle.

The End :)

No comments:

Post a Comment